I love the holidays. As a child, Thanksgiving weekend signaled the onset of school holidays that would take us through the winter season (Thanksgiving, Winter Break, MLK Jr. Day, President's Day). It meant school ice skating parties, graham cracker houses with M&M roofs, cutting out paper snow flakes, and all around merriment. It is a time of celebration, a time when peace is encouraged, even on opposing sides. I felt like there was an unsaid agreement between everyone to just give everyone a break during the holidays.
Even now, I still love the holidays. I love the decorations in store windows and the lights on people's houses. I love the delicious food from my grandmother's sticky rice stuffed turkey to gingerbread cookies to wassail. I love planning what to get people and the massive amounts of baking. I love being able to see all my friends without worrying about work or school. I love spending time with my family watching movies and playing games. It is just such a joyful time of year.
However, as I have grown older, I am more aware of the unsavory aspects to the holidays.
Those glittered brightly colored decorations I see in the store will inevitably end up in the garbage along with all the wrapping paper and boxes used for shipping. Those twinkling Christmas lights just use more energy.
Furthermore, the culture of consumerism during the holidays further amplifies the divide between the poor and the wealthy. Especially during a recession such as this one, more and more people are unable to provide for their families let alone all the bells and whistles expected with the holiday season. There is an increasing demand for help from food banks. A decline in donations goes hand-in-hand with a recession, and InnVision, an urban ministry which provides for the homeless in the Bay Area, may have to close down programs.
A couple of days ago, the desire for a bargain has led to a temporary Walmart employee to be trampled to death on Black Friday. I can't even begin to fathom how people would be willing to run over another person just for a TV or the latest toy. It is revolting, and effectively ruined this holiday season and probably many more for his family.
This always makes me realize how extremely blessed I am to be able to live as comfortably as I do. I can enjoy delicious meals at fancy restaurants and buy new clothes and toys. And I can spend my holidays with my friends and family. Now, the holidays are a time where I am more aware of others in need (seeing how I spend most of my time in the blissful bubble of Stanford).
I now see it as a duty to help, in whatever way I can, those who are less fortunate than I am. I think throughout life one should always try to become a better person, and helping those in need around you is a great way to start.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment