the awkward conversation that i am unable to avoid

Saturday, July 18, 2009
Since it is summertime right now, the conversation goes something like this:
"You must be happy that school's out right now."
"Um, I graduated."
"Oh, where are you going to college?"
"I already graduated from college."
"Wow, you look so young! What school did you go to?"
"Ummm...Stanford..." (with a rising inflection...)
"Oh you must be really smart"
"I guess..."

It always makes me incredibly uncomfortable. First of all, I'm mistaken as a high school student. I'm usually offended enough that I can't just nod, smile, and pretend I am in high school. Unfortunately, this always leads to college somehow. Then, there is all the assumptions that are made just by the name of my college, let alone if I describe my major...

I think the whole situation has been exacerbated by being around friends of my relatives. My mom and dad are really low key about it, they don't really talk about it at all with people, which is nice. However, my relatives on the other hand are terrible about name dropping, especially my grandparents. I would be fine with this if I never had to be around when it happened - but that would involve never being with my grandparents except when they are alone in their home. They will tell the cashier at asian supermarkets. It is always, " *lots of chinese* STAN-FURD *more chinese* MAS-TURS" really loudly and really accented. I basically have to stand there being embarrassed, smiling. And it's my grandparents, so I should accept it, since they are just so proud of me. But then there is my uncles, aunts, and even my piano teacher from high school. And to random strangers... it gets to be a little much. And then on top of that, it seems to be the conversation opener when I meet anyone who is in their 30s or older.

It's not to say that I am not proud of the fact that I went to Stanford. I truly loved going to school there (or else I wouldn't have extended my stay for quite so long). I am happy to be from there when I'm surrounded by other Stanford students (and I truly am at the company I'm at right now) or when I'm with my friends from high school. With them, going to Stanford just doesn't seem out of the ordinary. The real world is an entirely different story.

I also still volunteer at PFC. The best is when the the person I'm interviewing mentions she has a son my age...

No comments: