Dessert Party - take 2

Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Dessert party #2 was a success. There was so much dessert - I got to do this again sometime (when I'm not ridiculously busy...which is just about never). Here is the menu for anyone who cares:

Peling/Melody:
Pear Charlotte - Poached pears on top pear bavarian cream in a biscuit roulade shell (jelly roll cake)
Mango Mousse Cake - Mango mouse layered with sponge cake with a mango jelly topping
Hawaiian Pie - Crushed pineapples mixed with whipped cream and condensed milk in a graham cracker crust
Fruit Tarts - Glazed fresh fruit on pastry creme filled sweet cookie tartlets
Tiramisu - Lady fingers soaked in an espresso rum mixture layered with a sweetened whipped mascarpone cheese and zabaglione
Chocolate covered strawberries - Both dark and milk chocolate

Vicky:
Key Lime Tarts - Key lime filling in phyllo tarts
Caramel Croissant Pudding
Tiger Cake - Marbled bundt cake

Hana:
Apple Walnut Pie
Chocolate Brownie Cookies

Joyce:
Chocolate Mousse
Berry Popsicles


Felix:
Creme Brulee

Kay:
Mochi Cakes - Cupcakes filled with sweet azuki bean paste with a delightful mochi texture

Ruo:
Peach pudding - Peach flavored pudding with peaches and pound cake

It turned out amazingly well despite me being incredibly stressed out and freaking out that we wouldn't have enough desserts (especially on the day of the party - Melody, Vicky, Christine, and Twin probably bore the brunt of my freakingout-ness).

I'm so happy that so many people came. I just love the feeling of having people together for dessert - it is totally different from a dinner party or a "normal" party. It isn't quite as formal and there isn't any pressure. It is my version of a bbq. Desserts just make people happy - there is something so alluring about being able to provide desserts to people. I think there is this difference between desserts and all other types of food - the response towards desserts is somehow more intense.

Sadly, I don't think the things I made didn't turn out as well as they have done in the past. Amazingly enough, even though I was terribly ill with a fever leading up to the first Dessert Party (January 26, 2008) - the Pear Charlotte turned out beautifully. This time, the Pear Charlotte fell apart (the bavarian cream did not solidify enough - it was quite sad). The mangos weren't really ripe - lending a slightly tart taste in the Mango Mousse cake. I totally cheated with pre-made graham cracker crusts and pre-made lady fingers for the Tiramisu. And, I also messed up a TON of times - the first batch of pastry creme. //Sigh, next time...

No comments: